Continuing with my trend of posting presentations I gave a while ago, last year at Twin Cities DevFest I gave a presentation about building RESTful JSON services on Google App Engine.
The presentation is designed to both explain the ideas of REST, including the following topics:
- How REST differs from RPC-style APIs
- The pros and cons of JSON versus XML
- What HTTP verbs are appropriate for which operations, including PATCH witch is seen less often in the wild
- What HTTP status codes should be used for which scenarios
- Tools to use when developing RESTful APIs
- Python Code examples implementing the same API in straight Webapp2, Google Cloud Endpoints, and Webapp2 + Pytracts
In the talk I introduce my JSON serialization library Pytracts (which was called ProtoPy at the time of the presentation).